Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Morel Of The Story

A spring delicacy. . . . morel mushrooms!

Growing up, with step-dad number one, we lived out in the country.  So every spring we would have morel mushrooms to eat, and if we were lucky more than once each season.  My sister's dad would take us into the woods in search of these delicious fungi.  He would tell us that we could not make a sound or the morels would pop back under the ground.  Of course years later in the field mycology class I took, I learned that his story was very untrue.  But I guess it was his way of keeping my brother and I quiet on these mushroom forays.  Then when we got home, mom would soak them overnight in salt water.  Then next day she would salt and flour the morels and  fry them up in hot oil.

A few weeks ago, my baby sister went mushroom hunting.  She shared part of her haul with us.




The mushrooms my sister brought home sure were tasty!  It had been several years since we had morels, so it was an unexpected but delightful treat.  A big thanks to my sis!

No comments:

Post a Comment