Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas!

On Friday we worked on our annual tradition of putting up the Christmas tree.  We try to do this every year the day after Thanksgiving.
 
The kids each decorated a 12 inch Christmas tree, then. . .



We got our "new" used 7-1/2 foot tree up with beautiful white lights, which are my favorite.  Beautiful white lights are what I prefer and they add a beautiful warm glow to the room by which I enjoy reading a book next to.  

The kids decorated the lower portion of the tree with non-breakable ornaments and I decorated the upper portion of the tree with breakable and special ornaments.  


Each year we make a few ornaments for the tree, so the kids put their older creations on the tree.  We still need to create a few new ones this year.  Oh and we need to make applesauce ornaments again.  



Special ornaments this year included:

Seahorse ornament that reminds me of a vacation to visit a childhood friend. 
We have been friends for over 25 years.

Wooden ornament created by a dear WWII veteran. 
He turns 85 tomorrow. 

 Ornament given to me by another WWII veteran, my Sunday School teacher.  
She past away while I was in college.

 Angel tree topper hand crocheted by my great-grandma.
It was the tree topper for our Christmas trees growing up.

Saturday we went downtown and visited Santa.  The kids were at awe that Santa knew their names.  Of course, "Santa" moonlights as the pastor at our church.  But the kids were apparently oblivious and were at awe of seeing Santa.

 

Today would of been mom's birthday, so we headed out to the cemetery and decorate her grave and grandpa grave for the holiday season.  Grandma had some beautiful poinsettia arrangements that we changed out in the vases.  The flowers will stand out and add beauty to the landscape once the snow falls.  Grandpa and mom both enjoyed gardening, so they would of appreciated the flowers.

Sometimes mom would come over and help us out with decorating for Christmas.  Her favorite winter item was snowmen.  So, needless to say I have quite a few snowman ornaments that she had given me over the years.  I think of mom when I see snowmen.   
 
More Christmas memories will be posted in the weeks to come.  Until then have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment