Sunday, July 21, 2013

Quirks

 

We all have our quirks.  That is what makes us different from our peers.  That is what makes us individuals.  

Depending on the person and the quirks . . . . quirks can be fun.  Quirks can be frustrating.  Quirks can be cool.  Quirks can be annoying.  Quirks can encompass a whole variety of areas. 

Like everyone else, I too have some quirks.  Some are cool and some are frustrating to me. 

Writing quirks- I can write with both hands.  My dominate hand writing is very legible.  Typically when family members are writing a memento note to remember an event or information for a special item, they ask me to write it for them.  My maternal grandma, who quilts a lot, always has me fill out the tag for the back of the quilt with all of the pertinent details.  My non-dominate hand writing looks like a kindergartens.  It is large and shaky, but it is readable.  This skill comes in handy when leaving anonymous funny notes on co-workers desks. 

Reading and Speaking quirks- I think that I may of had some undiscovered learning hurdles in this area.  If I see a word that I have never read, I have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to pronounce it.  During college, I was reading the Left Behind Series and one of the characters had the name Chloe.  I had no idea how to pronounce it and I never quite asked anyone how to pronounce it, so I thought it was pronounce Coal.  Yes, I know way off.  I do not think that my hearing always correlates with my speaking and reading skills.  Sometimes I can not figure out what someone is saying unless I see their lips move.  Another example, my boss corrected me just about a week ago when I was talking about ricotta cheese in a recipe.  Apparently I added a few extra letters sometime during my life, so I was saying rittacotta cheese.  Unfortunately once I get a word stuck in my head the wrong way it can take me quite a while to correct it.  He had correct quite a few times (ha ha ha ha).  Thankfully I have a understanding and kind boss. Anyway, the words that I have the most difficultly with are words with "m"s and "n"s mixed together.  I think I may have a form of dyslexia when it comes to those words, whereas, I just switch the letters around.  A college friend that had a dog named Cinnamon delighted in the fact that it sounded nothing like cinnamon when it came out of my mouth.  More like cim-a-mum-mum.  I have been able to train my self to say it right, if I say it really slow.  Other words that I seem to get corrected on:  Pastor apparently sounds like pasture.  Washing sounds like warshing.  Napkin sounds like nackin.  For a while I thought Marcia was pronounced Mar-seat-a.  Bench, well you can figure that one out yourself.  Artisan comes out like art-tish-an.  Then, I also can forget how to say words or spell them.  "The" is terrible and I have actually forgotten at times much to my chagrin.  You never know what is going to come out of my mouth and I seem to add letters, drop letters, change letters and invert letters.  Oh, I will also switch the order of words in a sentence.  That is always great for a laugh.  So listen closely if you are talking with me (wink, wink). 

Number quirks-  This one is my weirdest one.  When I hear numbers verbally, I switch the numbers around.  So I always have to read numbers back if I am writing them down.  Answering machine messages with phone numbers really peeve me off because the caller rattles them off so fast that I have to listen to the message about three or four times to get the number down.  So for my sake and others just like me, slowly say your phone number and your name then repeat a second time.  That is how I leave message, if I get an answering machine while returning a phone call through my workplace.  Anyway, on the other side of the coin.  I am great at remembering numbers.  I can rattle off my boss's home phone number.  I can tell you the four digit number for bananas and donuts in the self check out line at the grocery store.  When I worked at the card shop, I was in charge of the Willow Tree Angel display.  I could look at an angel and tell you the last last three digits of the stock number in the back room to locate the box or unshelved product.

So, do you have any quirks that you would like to share??

No comments:

Post a Comment