Friday, January 21, 2011

The Game Plan

Every Friday night the thoughts arise of "What should we do this weekend?"  Being a working parent of course I want to do something fun and interesting with my kids.  But sometimes the logical side of me screams out "Do the dishes.  Do the laundry.  Run the vacuum."  Weekends have a tendency to feel like a tug-of-war.  Sometimes I'm more tired from the weekend than I am from the week.  

Since the outdoor temperatures are predicted to be in the single digits, we will stay within our humble abode at least for tomorrow.  The thought has crossed my mind of having pumpkin help me make chocolate chip banana bread.  I'm afraid to have princess help with that process for the time being, since we rarely make it through a meal without covering ourselves with our food.  Pumpkin and princess delight in stringing beads on pipe cleaners, so I may have to break the beads out of hiding tomorrow.  Of course, we will have to dive into the bag that holds our library books about colors and shapes from last weekend.  Princess has really enjoyed the book entitled Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton.

Princess sporting supper across her face right before bath time
Another point to consider is menu planning.  For dinner one evening this weekend, maybe something simple like french toast, bacon and fresh strawberries.  I also have some pork steak to cook, maybe we will have a carrot dish and a garden salad on the side.  I do enjoy cooking and new recipes, but at times my two little ones can make it more of a challenge than a joy to cook.  For example, my little princess (a typical toddler) delights in weaving in and out of my legs when I am trying to accomplish a task in the kitchen. 

Well whatever we end up doing, I am sure that we will have a good weekend.  Maybe if the temperatures get high enough, pumpkin can go out sledding with daddy and princess can have some one-on-one time with mommy. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment