Monday, January 17, 2011

Memories & Recipes

For Christmas my grandma had given all of us grandchildren a cookbook.  Of course it is not just any cookbook, one of my mom's cousins had created the book in the memory of my great grandma.  My great grandma was a truly remarkable woman and even to this day I think of her as a role model.  I was so blessed when my mom gave me my great grandma's wedding band to have as my own wedding band.  So in essence, I always have a piece of my great grandma with me.

My great grandma (left) and one of her sisters

Anyway, the cookbook was sixteen years in the making and the recipes came from recipes that she had given family and then her own treasure trove of recipes.  I remember when I was high school, just a year or two before great grandma past on.  She came for a visit and taught me how to make chocolate pudding from scratch.  She sat next to me as I wrote out the recipe card, which I still have in my recipe trove.  I am so thankful that I have some of my great grandma's treasured recipes that I can share with my children.  

It did get me thinking, I really do not have many of the recipes that my mom cooked while we were growing up.  Of course, it is way too late to ask my mom for them, but I figure that I can ensure that my children have the recipes that I cherish and love.  So last week, I decided  that each week I will try to jot down one recipe for both of my kids.  Hopefully by the time they get married, they will have a treasure trove of cherish family recipes to share with children.

1 comment:

  1. Such a good idea! I think I am going to have to do that too!

    ReplyDelete