Monday, May 23, 2011

Rhubarb . . . Oh, How I Love Thee!

Spring means fresh rhubarb and oh it is so delicious!  
I absolutely love my grandma's rhubarb crisp recipe.  


I obtained some fresh rhubarb last week from "my supplier," a very nice retired gentleman that we know.  I cleaned, cut and sugared it last night.  So when we got home this evening it was time to make this fabulous recipe!  


Rhubarb Crisp

If time permits, clean and cut rhubarb into 1" sections. Add 1 cup sugar. Refrigerate overnight.  Drain liquid into saucepan add 1/4 cup cornstarch and heat to boil (stirring all the time).  Add 3 to 4 cup rhubarb to hot sauce.  Put into 9 X 13 dish (greased).  Prepare topping -> 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup melted shortening (oleo).  Stir with fork and pour over rhubarb. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until rhubarb is done.

 
My hubby and I both had two helpings.  
Now to coax the children into trying this delicious treat!


Another spring recipe that we love is my grandma's strawberry pie recipe (click on this -> Spring Is In The Air to view the blog post that lists this recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment