Thursday, November 3, 2011

Escape Into The World of Stories


Within the last few weeks I have had the opportunity to read two novels.  One is set in ancient times with historical figures in far off lands.  The other is set in modern day across the ocean blue.  Since the passing of my mom stories have been a great, stress-relieving way to escape my thoughts and just lose myself into the worlds created by others (at least temporarily).

The book that I just finished was Guardian of the Flame: A Seven Wonders Novel by T.L.Higley.  I was browsing through the library and just decided to choose an isle and happened upon this very interesting novel.  It is a fictional novel written by a Christian author about the Lighthouse of Alexandria- one of the Seven Wonders of the World.  The story takes place in Alexandria, Egypt (48 BC) around the time that the Romans led by Julius Caesar arrive to the palace of Cleopatra and Ptolemy XIII (sister-brother) in Alexandria.  This was an absolutely amazing novel and it would be cool if it became a movie one day.  Quotes from ancient authors are riddled throughout the novel in unique and unusual ways.  One of the main character Sophia- keeper of the lighthouse- grasps with trust, love, religion, and a deep sense of loss while staying true to herself, her country, and her people.  Another main character Bellus- a Roman centurion- struggles with knowledge, duty, and honor.  There is a sense of finding yourself in the book and that it is never too late to love or be loved by those around you.  I could not put this book down and I am looking forward to reading more books by this author. 


The other book that I finished a week or two ago was The Pub Across The Pond by MaryCarter.  I found it at a local store when I was browsing through the book selection.  It is set in modern day and encompasses both Cleveland, Ohio and the fictional town of Ballybeog, Ireland.  Carlene is the main character and has had hard luck all her life, but amazingly enough she wins a pub across the pond.  She takes a chance which will change her life forever.  I did enjoy the story, the colorful language not so much, but then again it is set in a pub so it has to go hand-in-hand.  The story is about taking chances, finding yourself, letting others in, forgiveness, and love.  The little town of Ballybeog reminded me of the small town in which I attend school- outsiders find it hard to be accepted and sometimes do not last, but once you are accepted they will bend over backwards to help and lend support.  I plan on check out another book or two from this author.


Looks like I’m out of books again, until then I’ll dream of my next adventure to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment