Friday, November 25, 2011

Tis The Season

Today marks the transition from one season into another.  Yesterday was Thanksgiving and today is the first day of the Christmas season.  Both of them important in their own way.

We had a lovely Thanksgiving Day with a lot to be thankful for.  Our house was filled with my dad, my two grandmas, my sister, my brother-in-law, my children, my husband, and I.  We had a lovely meal and everyone contributed a dish or two.  Our menu consisted of roasted turkey, Hawaiian sweet rolls, stuffing, mom's cheesy potatoes, raspberry salad, butternut squash casserole, buttered corn, pumpkin pie, and razzle berry pie.  The Hawaiian sweet rolls and cheesy potatoes were in mom's memory.  She always made sure that each item graced the table during every holiday meal.







Pumpkin was excited about having a turkey for Thanksgiving.  When I pulled the turkey out of the oven, he asked me where the feathers and beak were.  Aren't kids funny?  I did get him to try a piece of turkey and he seemed to like it, but would not eat any of it off his plate.  Princess really liked the turkey and dug right in.

Thanksgiving is about taking time to be thankful for the blessings that we have.  So here are some blessings that I am thankful for.

    - I am thankful for family and friends.
    - I am thankful for God.
    - I am thankful for my husband and two kids.
    - I am thankful for our house and jobs.
    - I am thankful that we have freedom.

Today is the start of the Christmas season.  By tradition, we put the Christmas tree up the day after Thanksgiving and it will come down on New Years Day.  Great grandma came over and helped us with our tradition this year. We picked up the toys in the sun room and vacuumed the area really well. 


Then great grandma distracted the kids by making Christmas ornaments with paper, crayons, cookie cutters, and yarn.  They also made gingerbread boys and girls from a craft kit. 







Meanwhile, I put the Christmas tree up and strung the lights.  We put the crocheted angel on the top of the tree then Pumpkin and Princess where allowed to decorate to their hearts delight.  The tree is done for now, but I'm sure that the ornaments will be in constant movement around the tree.





The Christmas season is a wonderful time of the year.  It is about family, loving one another, the birth of Jesus, making things from scratch, and giving our hearts to those we love. 

This evening, I'm sure that we will create more paper ornaments.  Maybe I can introduce Pumpkin to making paper chains. This evening may also be a great time to make more pie crust gingerbread menOne of my favorite things to do once the tree is up is to sit in the sun room at night with only the Christmas tree lights on.  It is so calming and magical!

Well until the next adventure we bid you adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment