Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ginger & Spice & All That Is Nice!

I do not ever recall making a gingerbread house.  It may be possible that we made one when I was little.  But, since I can't ask my mom, I don't really know.  

We entered on the gingerbread house venture last evening.  And what an adventure it was!  First off, it is a good thing that we bought a gingerbread house kit for our very first gingerbread house try.  It came with four walls, two roof pieces, a plastic base, and gingerbread snowman.  Oh, and it was heavenly having pre-made icing.  


After I got the lasagna for supper started, I worked on putting the house together.  Pumpkin and Princess where quite curious, especially since they helped me pick out the gingerbread house kit.  The directions seemed relatively easy, but the walls were more stubborn than I had anticipated.  One wall in particular kept wobbling, so the handy bag of icing saved the day.  I felt like a broken record during this process, repeatedly telling my children "Don't touch the table!" and "If you shake the table, the house will fall down."  Once the roof was set in place the hard part was done.  We let the icing that held the house together dry as we ate lasagna.


After supper, the kids directed me on where we needed icing.  Of course they wanted it to look like the picture.  Ha ha ha-  with two little ones nearby it was a hurried job of slapping the icing on.  Once the icing was in place they went to town.  They decorated the front, sides, and back.  Pumpkin delighted in making a chimney.  Princess loved running her fingers across the roof then licking her fingers.






Looks like we will be digging into it this evening after supper for our dessert.  The kids can't wait!  Maybe we have the start of a new Christmas family tradition.  We will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment