Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Last Leg

I have been contemplating this evening. . . 

Two things really. . . 

One- my watch that my mom gave me over 16 years ago is on its last leg . . . 


~ I remember circling the picture of the watch in a local store's annual Christmas catalog.
~ I remember that my mom gave me the watch as a Christmas present in high school.
~ I wear my watch every day (I have the tan line to prove it). 
~ I wore the watch when I went to college.
~ I wore the watch when I met my husband.
~ I wore the watch as I walked to my grad classes the morning of 9/11.
~ I wore the watch to my brother's wedding.
~ I wore the watch when I got married.
~ I wore the watch when my dad was diagnosed with cancer.
~ I wore the watch the day my dear country church closed its doors.
~ I wore the watch when we were timing how often to feed the kids as babies. 
~ I wore the watch to my sister's wedding.
~ I wore the watch when my mom was diagnosed with cancer.
~ I was wearing the watch when my grandpa died.
~ I was wearing the watch when my mom died.
~ My watch has a lot of sentimental value and has seen me through a lot of life's events.
~ I took it to the jeweler today since it has been trouble keeping time, sadly it is not the battery.
~ I really do not want it to go kaput. 
~ The thought of looking for a replacement is sad.

Two- someone I knew was having an awful rough day and he said "It won't matter 100 years from now." . . .

It gets one to thinking how the things that seem big to us are really insignificant. I do believe that God has everything planned out, but the little details will not matter down the road.  What wisdom is found in those words.  It goes hand in hand with the saying "Don't sweat the small stuff."  I guess sometimes that is easy to forget.  Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the here and now instead of looking at the large picture.  May be I should remind myself more often, "It won't matter 100 years from now."

Well better turn in for the evening.  Hopefully tomorrow's thoughts will be brighter.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment