Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Time To Read

We hope to make it into the library tomorrow evening to validate week two of the kids' summer reading log.


Pumpkin's favorite book this past week was Clifford's Family by Norman Bridwell.  Emily Elizabeth and Clifford venture into the city to see Clifford's family.  They visit his brother, two sisters, mom and dad at various locations with various responsibilities in life.  The Clifford books are always a draw for my kids.  Who wouldn't love a big red dog????


Princess liked I Broke My Trunk by Mo Willems.  It is a funny book about how Gerald the Elephant broke his trunk.  He tells Piggie his story, which includes Hippo, Rhino, and BIG Hippo's sister.  Oh and don't forget the piano!  Definitely a funny kids story that gets bigger and bigger and bigger.


I read my third book of the month ~ All The Tea In China by Jane Orcutt.  I was wondering down the isle at the library and the title caught my attention.  The picture of a lady holding a sword also drew me in.  Hmmmmm. . . . what could this book be about?  Adventure, dreams, determination, and finding one's self along the way.

The year is 1814, and the main character Isabella Goodrich is on the verge of becoming a spinster.  Since she has lost all hopes of finding a good match within English high society, her dreams nudge her towards doing something with meaning.  Then she mets Phineas Snowe, whom talks of being a missionary in China.  The light bulb comes on and Isabella decides that her purpose in life is going to China to work in the mission field.  Unfortunately, Snowe declines to take her to China.  So she stows away on the ship bound for Canton, China.  Will Isabella spend the whole journey in hiding?  Is Phineas Snowe really who he says he is?  What is going to happen?

To be honest the first few chapters did not hold my interest very much, but once the story went to sea it became a whole lot more interesting.  I was pleasantly surprised and the differences of the social classes were definitely interesting.  Oh, did I mention that Isabella had been trained by a master swordsman?  So there are even a few sword fights within the pages of the book.  It was also interesting to read about the differences between the expectations of the roles of women in the two different countries featured in the book.  This is the first book that I have read by Jane Orcutt.

Next book up is . . . . . . The Garden of Happy Endings by Barbara O'Neal, which I am really looking forward too.

No comments:

Post a Comment