Monday, February 17, 2014

Cabin Fever

February is suppose to be the shortest month, but this month is seeming to last FOREVER.  Winter is nice.  We need winter so nature can rest before all of the beautiful colors burst forth.  I usually do not mind it much, but this winter.  There are just no words for it.  It could be the cabin fever talking by now.  

I dream of going outside wearing shorts and t-shirts.  I dream of the prairie sway in the warm breeze.  I dream of spring time irises and jack-in-the pulpit.  I dream of burgers on the grill.  I look forward to visiting the zoo and chasing butterflies.  I look forward to walking around the pond and watching lightening bugs.  I look forward to warmer temperatures.  

Instead . . . we have had snow.  We have had three weeks of sickness and high fevers.  We have had two days of sick homework to make up for Pumpkin.  Oh boy!  Homework is always a battle.  Today, we have freezing rain and snow.  As the ice thickens outside the odds are increasing that we will lose power before day is out.  




Ice is the part of winter that I like the least.  Ice causes broken toes.  Ice causes broken trees.  Ice causes explosions as power lines fall.  Ice causes sirens to sound.  Ice causes those blasted sweet gum balls to fall.  Did you know that they sound like rocks hitting the house?  





Ice brings back memories of the ice storm seven years ago.  The ice storm that left at least 80% without power.  The ice storm that splintered the power pole that supplied electricity to our house and our neighbor's.  That pole crashed into the ground just feet from our bedroom, spilling the contents of the transformer container into the ground.  The ice storm that sent electrical workers from across the United States and Canada to our area to fix the damage.  I would see convoys of 10 to15 power trucks at a time traveling along the roads in our area.  The ice storm that send the National Guard from door to door to check on the welfare of others.  The ice storm that took months and months to clean up.  The ice storm that still gives me nightmares.  I hope and that pray that this storm is not to that magnitude. 

Here are some pictures from that storm:





We have been listening to the tinking of the ice crystals against the windows today.  We have heard limbs breaking and crashing today.  We have watched the ice grow thicker and thicker today.  The streets are flooding with the freezing rain because the storm drains are plugged with ice and snow.  We have been listening to the sounds of ambulances and fire trucks.  It has been snowing for the last few hours.  That is sure to add extra excitement to the day.  I hope that we do not receive too much snow.  The weight of the snow may cause even more damage and destruction to the already ice covered trees and power lines.



In the midst of all that is going on, here are a few blessings.  Princess is fully recovered.  Pumpkin is on the mend.  Hubby and I have yet to succumb to any sickness that has plagued the family.  We have been enjoying playing a birthday gift game- Don't Break The Ice.  We have been warm and have not hungered this winter. Grandma has completed my long awaited quilt top.  Thank goodness for the gift of PBS and Downton Abbey.  Last but not least, I am very happy for the blessing of President's Day, so the kids and I did not need to travel in this icky weather.

Well I better go check on my two tornadoes.  Stay warm and safe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment