Friday, February 28, 2014

Sickies

This is the last day of February but it has gone on and on and on and on.  Besides ice storms, snow storms, and tornado warnings, we have had quite a bit of sickness.  I am the latest victim.  I want spring to get here soon!

Princess was sick for almost two weeks straight at the end of January and beginning of February.  She had the stomach flu, then a few days later had a 102 fever for four days with an infection in her eye.  The doctor put her on both antibiotic and medicated eye drops.  Then a week later Pumpkin had a 102 fever for three days ant the infection in his eye.  Once again he was on antibiotic and medicated eye drops.  Then one week later, do you see where I am going with this?  Yep, me.  

It started out with ear pain on Sunday, then progressed to a sore throat by Monday evening, then a bit of a stuffy nose on Tuesday.  I broke down and went to the doctor yesterday since it was painful to swallow, drink water, and eat.  The round about diagnosis is pharyngitis, since they are not 100% sure what is going on.  I have a very hoarse voice, so I technically have laryngitis too.  And I have a possible abscess on one of my tonsils.  What my tonsils?  I had my tonsils taken out during graduate school after having strep throat fourteen times in two years.  By the way, I do not recommend having your tonsils out as an adult.  Granted it is great way to lose weight but it took me a month to recover.  Anyway, I had the impression that tonsils do not come back but apparently I am wrong on that matter.  So I am currently on two antibacterial medications, a probiotic, and over the counter pain medicines.  I also have to eat soft foods and push fluids until I return to the doctor on Monday afternoon.  I was also given directions on when I should go to the emergency room.  They were nice enough to call and check on me this afternoon to see how I was doing.  It is still painful to swallow and eat, but hopefully once the medications really kick in I will start to feel better.  

I have basically crashed the last two evenings and have barely made it off the couch.  I seem to have more energy during the daylight hours.  Hubby has been helpful, but I have to watch what he gives me.  I did not mind the orange juice with Emergen-C (although it did burn my throat).  He gave me a teaspoon of honey which is not bad at all, but I think he laced it with garlic powder.  Eew!  And I had requested a bowl of cream of chicken soup.  I thought the sodium would help my throat, but he modified it with two chopped cloves of crunchy garlic. I like garlic, but yuck in the cream of chicken soup!  It took a while but I down the bowl.  I am going to hide the cream of chicken soup until I am well.  And, he attempted to get me to down a teaspoon of white vinegar.  I refused to drink the liquid fire.  My throat is already raw and feels like razor blades when I swallow, I definitely do not need to add to the pain.  I am glad that he is so well intentioned but he is very stealthy with his attempts. I am sure that I will be laughing about this one of these days.

The kids have seem to notice that I am sick.  Pumpkin has been more helpful and affectionate.  Princess has been more a terror to her daddy.  Both kids snuck into my bed last night to sleep with me to help me feel better.  Hubby spend his fourth night on the couch last night, apparently I sleep too loudly when I am sick.  

So we have gone through the whole family.  Except, except. . . . Hubby has yet to get sick.  If we keep with the current pattern he should start having problems starting around March 10.  Should be interesting to see if my prediction is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment