Sunday, June 5, 2011

That Was Fast

I just finished reading book number two in my quest to read ten books during the months of June and July.  Letters to Juliet by Lise Friedman & Ceil Friedman took less than 24 hours to read. 


I was disappointed at first.  I thought that since a movie had come from the book that it would be a good fiction story.  Instead it is a non-fiction book about the legend, history, and actual letters written to Juliet.  It is an amazing book in its own right.   

The authors traced back the roots of Romeo & Juliet in an effort to discover and tell the real story behind the legend.  The legend goes that Juliet died in 1303 in Verona and scholars believe she was born on September 16, 1284.   

The most fascinating part of the book for me was snippets of letters from all over the world.  Letters to Juliet have been answered since 1937 first by the custodian of Juliet’s tomb to the current “Secretaries of Juliet” at Club di Giulietta.  

The book is a tour guide through the history of this Veronian story, the love that it has evoked, and the tourist attraction that has resulted over time.  It is definitely worth reading.

It might be fun to write a letter to Juliet, but I don’t think that it is really my cup of tea.  But for anyone that would 
like to try, I have included the address:
Club Di Giulietta
via Galilei 3
37100 Verona
Italy

We are also reading to Pumpkin and Princess.  The children’s reading program consists of six different check-ins.  For the final check-in they get a book to take home. Yay!  This will be Pumpkin’s third year, Princess’s second year, and my second year in the reading program at our local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment