Saturday, June 4, 2011

Time to Read

The summer reading program has started at our local library.  Pumpkin, Princess and I are participating this summer.  Maybe we can get daddy to join in too! 

This summer’s theme is “A Midsummer Knight’s Read.”  Our local library is recommending that we should learn more about William Shakespeare, King Arthur and the Dark Ages.


I have just finished reading my first adult book Crossroads by Nancy Moser.  It was definitely an intriguing book.  The main character, Madeline, is an eighty plus year old woman with spunk, determination and spirit.  In a modern day version of the Great Land Rush, her plans are to revitalize her dying town with a free land & house giveaway evoking the pioneer spirit and hoping to save her town’s centennial celebration.  You can find tidbits of everyone you know woven among the many characters in the book.  It is an amazing book about determination, love, faith, and the pioneer spirit that draws you into the book in suspense of what may happen next.  It also brings small town American home.  This book plays with the exodus of people moving from small rural towns to large cities by reversing the roles.  What would happen if people started moved from the large cities back into the small towns?  I for one miss living in the country and the connectedness of the small town where I attended school. 

I became introduced to Nancy Moser’s books by chance in January 2010 as I was browsing the adult fiction section.  I picked up a book called The Good Nearby.  God works in amazing ways; I finished reading that book a week before my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.  I found the Bible verse (Romans 11:33) that has helped me through the past 18 months contained within its pages.  The book illustrates, through quite a few characters, that we are all connected and that even though we cannot see it God does have a reason for everything, a good for everything.  Other Nancy Moser books that I have read since my first introduction are Washington’s Lady, How Do I Love Thee, Just Jane, Mozart’s Sister, The Sister Circle, ‘Round The Corner, An Undivided Heart, and  A Place To Belong

The next book waiting in the wings is a book that has been transformed into a movie:  Letters To Juliet by Lise Friedman & Ceil Friedman.  I have yet to see the movie, but I think it would be interesting to watch it after I have finished the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment