Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Two Sides of Easter


Today is Easter.  Pumpkin was the first child to wake up and of course he wanted to rush to his Easter Basket.  I told him that he would need to wake princess and daddy up first, so we could all enjoy the baskets together. 

Princess & Pumpkin's Easter Baskets

He immediately went to his sister’s door and started yelling “GET UP!!  GET UP!!”  Thankful, she was not upset by this and crawled out of her bed with her beloved puppy.  Then I ushered them into our bedroom and they both climbed up on the bed and pounced on daddy.  Daddy pretended to be asleep for a while, and then they were able to rouse him up. 

Discovering the full baskets!

Everyone headed for the sunroom next and pumpkin looked at both the baskets, then with a puzzled look he asked “Which one is mine?”  I asked, “Which one did you pick out yesterday?”  He said “This one!”  I agreed and he swooped up his basket and sat on the floor.  Princess was a bit slower on the uptake and joined him a few minutes later. 

Princess's little puppy
 
The Easter Bunny was good this year.  He must have been impressed that pumpkin had cleaned his room and the sunroom the day before (which is a miracle in itself).  They both received one DVD, one small animal figurine, a toy, and fourteen Easter eggs. 

The breakfast of champions!

Once princess figured out how to open the eggs, she started chowing down on some mini Oreos for breakfast.  She was enjoying her treasures so much that we had a bit of difficulty getting into the highchair for breakfast.

Pumpkin is excited about his goodies!

Pumpkin on the other hand, started sorting through his eggs.  He kept the eggs with chocolate, gave princess the eggs with colored marshmallow bunnies and chicks, and gave me all of the eggs with mini Oreos and mini teddy grahams. 

After breakfast, we were off to church.   Before the service pumpkin, princess, daddy, and I explored the flowers on the altar.  There were white Easter lilies and orange, yellow, red and purple tulips.  It was really breath taking.  We talked about the colors and names of the different flowers with the kids.

During the children’s time, pastor talked about the special visitor that came to everyone’s houses and then talked about Jesus.  Every child left the altar with an Easter book and of course a pouch of snacks then headed off to the toddler room.  We read our new books before nap time.  

Open mommy!

After we got up we went over the grandma’s house for Easter supper and an Easter egg hunt.  This year for Easter are numbers are small just grandma, my sister, and my family.  We had poor boys, potato salad, carrots, rolls, and strawberry shortcake for supper.  It sure was delicious!  After supper, we went outside for the egg hunt.  Pumpkin had the upper hand, so I helped princess out.  I would pick her up and jogging to the next egg before brother took them all. 

A very happy camper!

My mom loved all of the holidays.  Last year, even though she knew it maybe her last holiday, she tried to go all out.  We were all together at grandma’s house: grandma and grandpa, mom and my step-dad, my brother and his family, my sister and her husband, and my family.  It was a several day celebration.  We had an Easter egg hunt in the backyard, a wonderful Saturday supper and an Easter brunch.  Mom had treats, crafts, Easter bonnets for the girls, and so much more.  My only regret of that weekend is that we never thought about having a family picture with everyone together.

Easter is amazing and joyful, but at the same time sad.  It is amazing that God loves us so much that He gave the ultimate sacrifice of His son, Jesus.  And because of this sacrifice we will receive everlasting life.  This year that promise means so much more to me.  This is the first Easter without grandpa and mom, but through that promise it means that I will see them again some day.  I am sad because I still miss them both so much, but it is amazing that through their memories and our family bonds that my step-dad was baptized and joined the church today on Easter Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment