Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Birthday Delight

It is amazing what a difference a year makes! 

Last year my birthday was filled with deep sadness with the loss of my mom just days before.  I was still numb and a lot of friends and acquaintance just did not know what to say so . . . they said nothing at all.  Last year my birthday was filled with funeral plans and trips to the funeral home.  My brother, sister, and their spouses bought me a bouquet of flowers and a card, but that was about the extent of my birthday.  It felt like my birthday never existed last year.

This year is remarkable different.  I received oodles of wishes over the internet, cards from family, text messages, and phone calls.  My hubby woke up at 5:30 a.m., went out in the rain, and brought home some fancy bagels and cream cheese that I really like.  Then told me to eat my breakfast before waking the kids up.  What a sweetheart!  

While he was gone, I thought I heard him outside.  "Hoo Hoo HooHoo, Hoo Hoo HooHoo"  this phrase was repeated several time.  I thought may be my husband needed some help coming back into the house, so I went to the kitchen and turned on the light.  No noise, no husband, then I started laughing.  It had to be a barred owl hanging out in the tree outside our bedroom.  Sometimes when we are shopping and can not find each other in the store, we will hoot like barred owls until we find the other person.  Barred owls sound like they are saying "Who cooks for you?  Who cooks for you alllll?"

For lunch my hubby met up with me and a few friends from work.  He came bearing a beautiful bouquet of flowers and bought me lunch at a local burger joint.  I got my chocolate cherry coke!  Yummy!!!!  We had a great meal with some good company.


Later in the day when the kids and I got home, I discovered that a birthday elf had broken into my house!  That table was definitely not the way I left it, but a whole lot better!  The tablecloth had transformed into a beautiful burnt orange with heavenly cream colored cloth napkins.  In the center of the table was a naturistic looking pumpkin decoration.  The birthday elf had left a calling card and I'm thankful to report that it was from my little sister and her husband.


My family usually celebrates birthdays with a birthday dinner.  The birthday person gets to pick the menu.  I usually ask for the same thing every year, although last year there was no birthday dinner.  I ask for my all-time favorite entree my great-great-great grandma's cabbage rolls.  I remember my great grandma making them from time to time when I was growing up.  The recipe has been past down from generation to generation.  Grandma says that the recipe came over from Austria.  Anyway I digress,  this year for birthday dinner we also had cinnamon apples, deviled eggs, and creamed potatoes and peas.  Dessert was peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.  Yes, I did say peach cobbler.  I am not a cake person, I prefer pies and cobbler.  So every year, I request peach cobbler instead of a birthday cake.

Needless to say this year's birthday was amazing!  I'm so thankful for all of my family, friends, and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment