Sunday, March 25, 2012

Throw The Plans Out The Window


This past week has definitely been interesting to say the least.  There have been days when I had something planned and other days nothing on the agenda.  I would of loved to take some nature photography of spring wildflowers.  I would of loved to go and get a new outfit for an upcoming special event.  I would of loved to actually go grocery shopping.  I would of loved to go get a yummy cinnamon crunch bagel with delightful honey walnut cream cheese.  I would of loved to take a walk and enjoy the spring weather.  Instead the plans and hopes were thrown out the window. 

Last Saturday my paternal grandma ended up in the hospital.  She had a few rocky days in there, but she was released after five days.  I was able to hang out with her off and on for about four of those days.  The major concern right now is a complication of her diabetes that has caused some circulation and gangrene issues.  Just have to remember that it is in God's hands and put our faith in him.

Monday the fun continued when dad ended up in the hospital again.  This time it was pneumonia and it was his fourth hospital stay since February 6th.  Dad spent five days in the hospital too, but I was only able to hang out with him off and on for the first two days.  His bone marrow transplant that was scheduled for Friday was delayed.  Dad is to call on Monday to see when it will be rescheduled- maybe a week or two down the road.

Thankfully my aunt was able to get both dad and grandma on the same floor of the same hospital.  Granted they were in opposite wings on the far end of each hall, but at least we did not have to mess with the elevators to get between the two rooms.  My aunt basically lived in grandma's room for a few days, while I was only able to come in for a few hours at a time.  After visiting hours on Monday and Tuesday we had the doctor's okay to wheel dad down to grandma's room so they could see each other.  Dad had to wear a mask for each trip. 

I had a planned church committee meeting for Wednesday evening, but my pastor contacted me on Tuesday and decided that with everything going on in my life we should delay the meeting a month.  I really hated to delay since it is well past time for a meeting, but it was a good thing because . . . .

Wednesday afternoon Pumpkin came down with a 101 fever.  I took him to the doctor on Thursday afternoon.  The doctor swabbed his nose and said that he had influenza.  That evening Princess came down with a 101 fever.  So we have basically hung out at home since then and until we are sickness free we cannot visit grandma or dad.  Princess was so wiped that she even took a few extra naps yesterday.  Both kiddos are now fever free.  Pumpkin is back to his ornery self and Princess is just really tired and clingy.  Their only symptoms were fevers, runny noses, and coughing.  So far, hubby and I have remained sickness free.


Thursday evening, we had an ant invasion in the kitchen.  So I cleaned and mopped to help deter the little critters.  On Friday one of my friends since college came and treated a few areas for ants.  I have not seen any ants today, so I am taking that as a good sign that they are gone.

Pet-wise, my sister left town for about five days leaving us with Oliver.  Thankfully Sebastian got to hang somewhere else for the length of the departure.  Oliver was not too ornery.  I only had two problems with him. The first, he irritated an old shoulder injury on Friday when I took him out for a potty break.  I had him on a leash and we were at a standstill.  He jumped and lurched for something, which yanked my arm into a very comfortable position.  My shoulder is still killing me today.  It was the same shoulder I fell on two summers ago.  I ended up with a sternoclavicular joint injury then and the joint is swollen now, so it will probably take a few weeks and ibuprofen for the pain to subside.  The second, he got into the garbage can and spread it across my clean kitchen floor yesterday afternoon.  So I'm ready for my sister to come home and resume the responsibility of her dog.

I think I need a long break to recoup my sanity.  Maybe even a solo trip to the store might help.  Here is to hoping that this week will be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment